swisspeace, in collaboration with the University of Basel, offers a Conflict Sensitivity Course in Basel from 10 – 12 June 2020.
Peacebuilding, development and humanitarian interventions aim at contributing to a positive impact on the contexts within which they take place. External interventions in volatile environments thus need to be sensitive to the context. This includes the identification and mitigation of the risks of exacerbating conflict, and strengthening of opportunities to contribute to positive change.
Working in volatile and potentially quickly changing contexts requires organizations and their interventions to be adaptive and flexible. A conflict sensitive approach systematically takes into account both the positive and negative impacts of interventions on contexts and the impact of these contexts on the interventions.
In this course you will:
- acquire an understanding of the concept and purpose of conflict sensitivity.
- learn about practical tools for integrating conflict sensitivity in strategic and operational aspects of program management.
- reflect on the utility of conflict sensitivity at the policy level.
- become aware of institutional and individual capacities for effective implementation of conflict sensitivity.
- exchange experiences and become part of a community of practice.
Applications for the Conflict Sensitivity Course close on 31 March 2020.